Thursday, January 13, 2011

Granny Sweater Makeover

Okay, lovelies this will be long and rambling but stick with me.

I found a new favorite blog last month Grosgrain Fabulous.  It is a fabulous blog written by an amazing woman,

Kathleen

I have spent hours going through page after page of her blog.
I love it and it has reminded me how much I once loved sewing clothing.

There was a time,
a time.......
when I enjoyed sewing so much that I had offered to make my friends wedding dress.
I didn't make it but that is a story for another day.

But just know I loved it.
Last Summer I tried a few shirt makeovers (here and here), they were lots of fun to do.
But after reading Grosgrain and looking at all the beautiful thing she has made,
I am sold.
I can't wait to do more.

Okay enough of my rambling,
on with the good stuff.

1. go to thrift store and find a sweater to make over and another 100% wool sweater to felt.




this is my boxy granny sweater


2. put sweater on inside out and pin to fit



3. mark sweater where you pinned to get a smoother line



4. re pin neatly to sew

5. sew along line, remove pins



6. this was the first time I got nervous while doing this, cut on the outside of were you have sewn


checkout the difference already


See the difference between the sides


7. Fold the sweater in half and mark the other side to match the side you have done


pin and repeat all the steps above


Much better fit, you could stop here.  But where is the fun in that


8. use a shirt you like the neckline of and mark the sweater



9. Pin front and back together, hold your breath, say a prayer and cut


Oh Thank Goodness it worked


10. Pin a ribbon onto where you cut the neckline, leaving enough room to fold over half to the other side when it is time
(I would use a wider ribbon, this is all I had and we were snowed in. So I made do)




Here is what it will look like pinned


11. Sew ribbon on


12. fold ribbon over to other side and sew



 this neckline much better, and yes I know there is a button missing




13. Turn a 100% wool sweater into felt by washing in hot water and drying,
This was a woman's sweater before felting



14. Make a template for you design


and cut and cut and cut and then cut more



15. Pin "leaves" were you want them sew them on.
Sorry I lost the photo of me sewing them on



There you have it my made over Granny Sweater



My favorite part is the back.

So.....
Do you like my Granny Sweater?
Have you ever done anything like this?

See you later,


Sit Relax and Read







22 comments:

Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont said...

Wow Cha Cha! Your sweater turned out awesome! Very brave of you to chop that sweater to pieces but it was well worth the effort. :)

The Pennington Point said...

Oh my gosh Cha Cha! You did a fabulous job! I re-make almost everything I wear. So this project is right up my alley! I love, LOVE it! Lisa~

Amanda said...

I love this! It was so neat to watch the progression! It looks so cute! You are so creative!

Jenny Beth said...

ahhhh look at you go... that looks awesome. i think you should have been in my fashion design classes.... your a natural!!

Christine said...

cute! I love buying wool sweaters from the thrift store to felt. I have been making scarves from the sweaters lately :-)

Miss Jan said...

You amaze me !!! and by the way there is a bag of sweaters at my doorstep waiting for you and I can go to Goodwill and get more if you get bored!! Seriously..great job.

Charity said...

Miss Jan, I love you!!!!!! You get me, encourage me, and provide for me. You are my blessing

Your,
Cha Cha

cynthia said...

very cute cha cha! huge difference you made...and it love it!

Five Seconds From Crazy said...

Oh my gosh! Seriously adorable. I'd wear it everywhere!

the cape on the corner said...

wow, that looks awesome! i love all the extras you added, but mostly the whole shape. everything should be made like that, if you ask me. who wants boxy? great transformation!

gkey said...

Hey Cha Cha, Nice to "meet ya",

(I came over from The Point)
I too am a re-purpose-clothier of sorts. The challenge is always in seeing the possiblitities before getting rid of something or passing it up at my favorite 2nd hand haunts.
I saw such a cute idea of felting old wool sweaters into things a few years ago. Clipped out the page and then never tried it until this Winter when I made some wonderful orange mittens out of a wool sweather. The cuff part is from the cuff of the sleeve of course, so you can easily imagine how it is done.
love,
It's better Felt than Telt
in
NE

Tiffini said...

You had me when you cut the neck out! I get overwhelmed just looking at a sewing machine. I want to learn it just scares me.
That is totally amazing! I can't wait to see more!

Red Headed Step Child said...

I have slowly worked on refashioning all of the maternity clothes that I liked. Some have turned out well, others, not so much. I love this idea of altering for such a perfect fit though! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jessa said...

How brilliant! Love the line after you took the sides in. Much better than a box shape!!

Brandi said...

You did such a lovely job on the sweater!

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} said...

Ohhh very nice! Love the gray against the light,I never would have guessed that it was originally a granny sweater!
Amie @ http://www.kittycatsandairplanes.blogspot.com/

Sylvie Créative - Créations Ma Déco Maison said...

Clever ideas, very nice result! I like the front and I love the back.

Unknown said...

Haven't visited in awhile...good to be here again. LOVE what you did with that sweater :)!!!

Between You and Me said...

you worked miracles on that sweater.
i wish we lived closer and you could be my sewing teacher.

my grandmother made all of my clothes when I was little...
beautiful clothes....
I never took advantage of learning before she passed away....big regret!

Biz said...

Between you and me suggested I check you out, so here I am!
I love this sweater redo...I never would have thought it was that easy to make a big sweater fitted!
Thanks...gonna go nose around some more!
Biz
http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/

Kat said...

Holy smokes! That's amazing!!! You are seriously talented, my friend!!!

Laryssa Herbert said...

CUTE! So creative. I'm very thankful to the Lord that He had our paths cross at Blisdom. Looking forward to getting to know you better.