Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year, New Closet, New Heart

 
Have you ever had a meltdown over what is in your closet?
I know I have!
I had them in high school at a size 6 and now in mid-life at a size __... a girl needs some secrets.
I had my last meltdown over a year ago but I still remember it, vividly. It was a Sunday morning while getting ready for church, seems that Sunday mornings often have problems but that is a topic for another day. I hated everything in my closet, nothing was working together and I could not find something that I was looking for. At the high/low point of this meltdown my daughter walked into my room to ask a question. When she came in my bed was piled high with rejected clothing, shoes were all over the floor and my nerves were shot. I do not remember her question or my answer but I remember my attitude. Boy, do I remember my attitude! It was HATEFUL and SELFISH, not nurturing and kind. She left my room hurt. I was left in my room with a pile of clothing and an even bigger pile of regrets. I started praying, I asked God for forgiveness and asked Him to help me change this area of my life. He started by bringing a verse to my mind.
I will give thanks to You, for
I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your Works
And my soul knows it well.
Psalm 139:14
God convicted me that I would tell my daughters this verse but I did not believe it and if I did not believe it they might not either. Again, I confessed to God and asked for forgiveness. Then I did the same with my daughters.
The next day I started cleaning out my closet.
1. I got rid of everything that did not fit.
- This was very hard for me. I can be a hoarder and live in the what ifs of life but God...
BUT GOD wanted to know did I have faith that he loved me enough and could/would provide again if my size changed. Did I trust Him?
I let the clothes go.
2. I calculated how many pieces of clothing I really needed.
- I started getting rid of excess. This step was easier because it tended to be things that I had extra of or never wore.
3. I decided if something was going to hang in my closet I had to love it.
- I learned things about myself during this step. God revealed a very ugly and large void in my heart that I had tried to fill with selfishness and pride. I was not prepared for this. I wanted these clothes even though I did not love them. It was hard to pass these pieces on because they fit and I did not have extras, everything in me wanted to cry out but God...
BUT GOD reminded me that all that I have is His and that He had freely given it to me and I should freely give to others. So I gave. With each item I gave God filled a piece of that gaping void with His love.
Fast Forward to today.
Do I still have bad days?
Of Course! I still have hormones and the devil is still on the prowl but I do not meltdown.
Did you hear that?
I DO NOT MELTDOWN.
Now when I have a bad day I go to my closet and know that I love everything in it but more importantly I know that
I AM FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE

and I give thanks to God for all that He has given me and taught me.
Photo
My closet today
What has God been cleaning out in your life?

Charity


























3 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

WOW! So inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

HotRod44 said...

I really need to do this to my closet. I am wanting to pare down a lot...but finding time is hard. At least that is my latest excuse! ;) Inspirational!

Rachel said...

Just realized that I was signed in as my hubby. The above comment was from me! ;)