Friday, January 24, 2014

At The Feet of Fine and Good





One Sunday morning as I glanced up I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror I was brushing my daughters hair and fussing at her for not being ready but God took me back to that same mirror in that same bathroom 30 something years before.  The same anger was there, the same hurt was there, the same confusion was there...only this time 30 year earlier I was the little girl who was hurt and confused and it was my mother who was angry.

The whole thing was typical. 
 It was the typical Sunday morning argument
 - Oh, how the enemy delights in these -
 You know the argument that I am talking about.

Brush your hair!
No, you cant wear that!
Get off the floor before you pick your tights!
What do you mean you can't find your shoe?

Rush, rush,
 hurry, hurry,
 bark, bark,
 yell, yell,
 get in the car tempers and feelings on edge,
 argue, fight some more,
 pull into the parking lot,
 flip the switch without a word, 
get out of the car,
 smooth your clothes,
 put a smile on,
 walk to the door

Hi, how are you?
Oh, we are fine.

Hello there, how are you doing this morning?
We are doing good.  How are you?

In that moment where time was blurred God reminded me what it was to pull up a pew to the fine and good theology...what is was like to sit at their feet week after week.

You see,
 when us broken, 
messed up people,
 with all our hurt and baggage walk through the door of the church on Sunday morning with our smooth clothes, our smile, and our fine and good, we are preaching.  We are preaching loud and clear and the theology is a dangerous one.  The fine and good theology is teaching us that the church is no place for our problems, no place for our hurt, no place for our baggage. It is teaching that our fellow Christians have no desire to know about our problems, our hurt, our baggage.  And worst of all it is teaching that Jesus Christ didn't die for our problems, our hurt and our baggage.

When we pull our pew up to this theology there is nothing left that is real or of value and we quickly burnout of doing good and looking good.  We soon tire of the work it takes to make it to church. We soon grow weary of pretending with other Christians and realize there is no room for friendship without truth.  We soon grow exhausted of trying to be good enough for Jesus and realize that you never will be.

That morning when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, God showed me I was about to repeat that with my own girls and my heart broke.  I knew that I did not want them learning at the feet of fine and good.  In that moment there were tears and repentance.  Repentance for the child from 30 years earlier who bought into that theology and repentance for the momma who was teaching it.  There were many apologies said and hugs given.  The car ride to church was filled with conversation about how to make Sunday mornings go smoother, how to plan better and be more organized. And when we pulled up to the parking lot, we got out, smoothed our clothes and put a smile on our faces but when people asked how we were we didn't say fine or good.  We said how happy we were to be there and that it had been a hard morning.  There were many tears shed during the service by this momma as my Heavenly Father spoke words of healing, forgiveness, and encouragement to me
That was the day I learned the most at the feet of fine and good!

How are you today? 

 Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”    Matthew 11:28-30


Sit Relax and Read

4 comments:

Mrs Baker said...

Love this bold post. Authenticity. I love and desire it!!

Jayme said...

I loved this. It is what so many of us experience. I don't want to teach my children that God doesn't want to hear about the bad and only wants us to share fine and goods with others. The burdens we carry aren't ours alone. Once again awesome!!

The Mustard Seed said...

Gosh, did this just speak right to my heart! It seems like every morning lately and especially on Sunday, I am gritting my teeth at the chaos that follows the morning routine. Beautiful and genuine. Miss reading this blog!

QuanMai said...

Do you want $10000 ? Quick to participate in!
Write your story about www. wholesaledress.net $10000 bonus may be yours.
Everybody who knows this campaign can take part in.

1, Claim This article shall not be less than 100 words. The article must be included words of www.wholesale-dress.net or www.WD.CM. And put the article to your facebook blog or other media. Each one only has one chance.

2, Submit method Please screenshot the content to marketing@wholesale-dress.net,
attached with your Microsoft Word manuscripts.

3, Award setting First Price $2000 1 person
The Second Price $1000 2 persons
The Third Price $800 3 persons
The Forth Price $500 4 persons
Best Participation Award $400 4 persons

The bonus will be sent to you every week by Bank Transfer( T/T) from March. We will inform the winners by email. Please replay us your Bank account after receiving the mail. No reply for 7 days, we will regard as you giving up your price. Bank account transfer paper will be shared at this page.

Dear participants, we have received 4 submissions.