Wednesday, May 26, 2010

ANNIVERSARY



My sweet husband and I celebrated 12 years of marriage this past Sunday.  They have been 12 years marked with joy and happiness, but there have been plenty of bumps along the way, also.  We would both do it again without hesitation and knowing what we know now would save each other many unnecessary heartbreaks along the way.  Looking back there is something beautiful about learning with each other and holding each other up when one is not able to own their own stand tall.  In all the learning there come seasons of life, seasons of feast and seasons of what seems to be famine.


We are in a new season of our marriage one with freedom (no small children under foot, we were pregnant at 5 months of marriage) we have never known.  It is a season with great excitement and renewal.  As I have reflected on our anniversary this week I have longed for a way to mark the occasion (we decided not to do gifts this year) when I read Ann Voskamp post today (go read it now or the rest of this will make no sense, it is long but each word has great importance, read them all)

I have decided to give my husband this box tonight as our anniversary gift.




This dirty sad little suitcase is one from my childhood, I have the entire set.



I love that our box is something with a history and represents my life and the experiences that have made me the person I am.



So, I started cleaning the box, as I scrubbed away the dirt and grime from the box, God was scrubbing away the ugly baggage I brought into my marriage.



Tonight this box represents this new season in our lives.



A season where yes has new meaning and love will grow strong.


I hope you were inspired by Ann's words. I read her work often, she has a way with words that softens my hard heart and helps me look at life in a new way.

I hope you and your husband plan a trip for the future.

Cha Cha





holy experience

14 comments:

Jemsmom said...

Happy Anniversary! I know your husband will cherish that gift! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Jemsmom said...

Just read Anne's post. I hope you go on your dream honeymoon soon!!!! What a neat thing. I think I am going to find a box!

Unknown said...

Wishing you many blessings as you celebrate and reflect. Happy Anniversary!

Nancy

nest of posies said...

oh dear heavens.
i don't know if i can go over there & read that post. you already made me tear up. (as usual.) my dear cha cha, thank you so much for the tender real look inside your life (past, present, & future) if you only knew how much i needed to read a real post about marriage. - don't get me wrong - we are okay, but like you said we are on a bumpy road at times.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. i sure hope that steak tasted good on sunday & you found your way out of being LOST. ;)
love you!
kellie

nest of posies said...

p.s.
12 years later, this still is a beautiful wedding photo!

xoxo

nest of posies said...

ok~ i just read the honeymoon/box story & the post above it. wowza.

chief would love for me to go find a box.
;)

besides, the fact that he is also an "envelope" saver of money - he would totally LOVE the box idea.

The Pennington Point said...

Wow! I am blown away by the openness in Anne's post. She hit it on the head....so beautiful. I am convicted and encouraged at the same time. Happy anniversary. I hope you took some dollars with you for your box. :) Lisa~

Between You and Me said...

Happy Anniversary. I love the suitcase that you gave to your husband. I sure gave my husband an extra large set of BAGGAGE when we got married. It's been 14 years of us unpacking our baggage together...God has been good and faithful and redeeming.

amy in peru said...

my very most favorite part of Ann's post... we're totally doing it (no I did NOT mean it like that)... the love box I mean :) we read it together and are very motivated. perhaps both for different reasons ;)

ahahahah

amy in peru

Kalleen at Second Street said...

Happy anniversary Cha Cha. I hope your hubby loves the box.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Maine Mummy said...

Oh wow. Thank you so much for sharing this, I can't stop reading her site. Your wedding picture is absolutely beautiful - Happy Anniversary.

Patricia said...

I hope you had a beautiful anniversary!
Thank you for sharing this ~ you are such a blessing to me! I needed to read that!
Blessings
Patricia

Love Being A Nonny said...

Happy Anniversary! We celebrate 35 years this September. We are blessed...as are you!