Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kitchen Island

Hi again, two post in one day, please don't fall over.

While I was writing about my thrifty find I remembered that I had never shared my new Kitchen Island.


I had been wanting one for years but space is very limited and I need it to be small with open shelving and be able to roll around so that I could stick it where ever I was working at the time.

I few weeks ago we went to Ikea and I picked out this FÖRHÖJA


I liked it but it was a little longer than what I wanted and it was $100 which isn't bad if it is what you want but since it wasn't just right I decided to pass. 

Thank goodness I did because look what I found when I was out junkin a few days after that.



And do you know how much they wanted for it,
of course you don't but I am going to tell you

$20.00

That is it $20.00

And guess what it was shorter


It had some signs of wear but I didn't care because I knew what I had planned for it.  So I got out my sander. paint. brushes and stain and went to town and this is what I ended up with.


Boy am I ever glad I waited and found this one.


I just love the towel bar on the end, I collect dish towels and this gives me the perfect place to show them off
and maybe use them.


Now I just need to find some kind of baskets to put underneath
But that is for another day.

Cha Cha

I am linking here

Visit thecsiproject.com


27 comments:

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the dark stain with the white paint. Love it! Nice job! And great deal :)

Holly said...

What a lucky find...isn't that the best? You really made it look great!

Country Mouse said...

What an awesome transformation!!! I'm sure you are thrilled you waited and saved yourself $80!!!!

Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

Ooooh! I love a dark stained top and creamy painted bottom. So pretty! What color stain did you use on the top?

Melissa said...

I love the dark stain and the white! I love this combination!

Unknown said...

I have that EXACT (microwave) cart just sitting in my storage room waiting for a new look. Yours turned out great! Thanks for the kick in the pants to do something with mine.

Sue said...

Fantastic transformation using a two finish combination! Paint always works wonders on most anything.
:-) Sue

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Good things come to those of us that wait! that is a gorgeous island! I love the white and stained look.

I joined in the fun and came over from Transformation Thursdays

Carol

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

What a great island! Love the two-tone. It turned out just perfect! Nice job!!!

Tammy said...

I LOVE it, and now I am on the lookout for something like this on wheels. It would be perfect in my teeniny kitchen!

Hattie said...

That turned out so well! I love the dark stain with the white. What a great "after!"

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

WOW, you really worked some magic on this piece!! it turned out fantastic.

Renee said...

I love it, I really want an island but I don't seem to have the room, maybe something like that would work for me too.

Unknown said...

It's perfect! I want one! Thanks for the inspiration. Found you through POPP @ Domestically Speaking.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

$20?? You can't beat that. I really like the two tone thing you have going on there.

Well done!

Unknown said...

Visiting from Fireflies and Jellybeans! What a great find and for $20 even better. I love the dark wood on the white too!

Jen said...

Gorgeous!
I want a small island in my kitchen too ..I'm still looking!
I'm a new follower!

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Great find! I'm glad you waited to.
Don't you just love getting a bargain?
Annette

Jocelyn said...

Wow it turned out beautiful! Great job :-)

FrouFrouBritches said...

Oh my gracious! that is so pretty! I absolutely love it!

Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

that's great! You took something I would have passed up and made it into something special

Lisa said...

Yours is so much nicer than the one from Ikea! It really pays to be patient.

brandi @ tales of a domestic goddess said...

wow!! what a great find!!

visiting from tatertots and jello

blakadoemsticgoddess.blogspot.com

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

visiting from tatertots and jello,

this is super wonderful. Great job!

Unknown said...

Great find! and great job of redoing it! It looks fantastic.

Pine Tree Home said...

I need something like this to wheel food between my kitchen and my grill when we have parties. I am on the hunt now.

Julie said...

that's awesome! Would you mind sharing what colors of stain and paint you used?

:)