Friday, April 23, 2010

HOW I MET MY HUSBAND, PART 1

Kelly from Kelly's Korner is hosting a link party today and the theme is How I Met My Husband. Because this is a story I want my children and grandchildren to know, I decided to join in.




I want to start by saying this is my version of the story the way I remember it, other people may have different details to add.



It was 1997 and I had been at my then job for a few months and was enjoying every minute of it. I was making new friends, one of those was a girl named Brandi. She and I had started to get to know one another better and were enjoying the beginning stages of a new friendship. One day at work she asked if I would be interested in going on a blind date with her cousin, Jeremy.  Jeremy's family was planning a surprise party for him.   To get Jeremy to his surprise party some of the family invited him on a blind date as the cover story to get him to the party location. This is where I came in, I was the blind date... I had sworn off dating the year before, but felt I was ready to try it again. So, I said yes. I had met Brandi's mom and sisters and knew they were nice and fun to be around this made me feel safe to go even if nothing happened with the date. I thought it sounded like a harmless, fun night out.


The night of the party came and I met Brandi at her parent's house where I was introduced to my future husband's Granny for the first time.

 Let's just take a moment to talk about Granny... She was perfection, grey hair, a plump little body, enough sass and spunk for 10 people, a heart of pure gold and she had arms that gave the greatest hugs. We named our firstborn after her ( Audrey, not Granny). We miss her still and my heart aches that my girls don't have memories of her.


That night before we left Brandi's house, I had fallen in love with Granny. She had pulled me aside to show me a picture of Jeremy and to warn me that he was a BIG guy (and he was a big guy, over 6 ft. tall and at that time around 250 lbs., my first thought was oh no, a jock, not my type). We leave to go to the party. When we get there I am introduced to the rest of the family and suddenly I realize what I have gotten myself into. I was in a fish bowl, about to meet a guy for the first time with 20(+) strangers watching my every move. Was I crazy or what? So as the time came for Jeremy's arrival everyone hid in the kitchen, except his cousin Caughey and Caughey's wife Elizabeth. Sooo here I sit on a sofa with two people I don't know with 20 more people I don't know hiding in the kitchen, my heart is pounding.



In the mean time Jeremy is coming to the party and knows something is up. So he has decided to play a little trick on his family (mostly his aunt who is very prim and proper, love ya Grandee) and say something to embarrass them all.



So here I am sitting on the sofa and in walks The Jock who introduces himself with this line



Hi, my name is Jeremy and if you hear any BURPING or FARTING tonight it's from Caughey not me.



Needless to say I was speechless, I mean really what does one say to that. So I sit with wide eyes and pray for the floor to open and swallow me. What have I gotten myself into and how can I get out, I don't even have my car here. After what seems like forever, people jump out and yell surprise. I run for Brandi and want to hide behind her. After all the surprise talk is over, Jeremy comes and apologizes to me and tells me that he had said that to embarrass his family and not me. I excepted his apology but still was not impressed with this JOCK, but over all the evening was fun.



So that is the story of how I met my husband. Because of the length so far and  there is still more to tell I will continue the story later.



Cha Cha

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I love stories like this.

Kate said...

I love stories that start out as normal occurances! Well, I don't know if going on a blind date is normal but I'm sure you probably didn't expect him to be your husband!

Patricia said...

What a great story... so far! I love to hear stories of how ppl meet!
I think I may have to do this too!
Have a great weekend!
Patricia

Jemsmom said...

Classic!!! My husband was burping and farting the first night I met him and somehow I stayed.... hmmmmm..... 17 years later, it seemed to have worked!

Unknown said...

I love it! That's a fun story. I would have hoped to have had a hole to crawl into, too with that opening line! But how could you not fall for a guy with a sense of humor? He sounds fun!

Nancy

Between You and Me said...

love your story.....because I have 2 sons, I totally get your husband's humor!

I can only imagine what my boys pick up lines will be one day....

FairfieldHouse said...

Cha Cha,

What a great story! What a romantic opening line. :/ How could you resist?

Can't wait for the story to continue.

Your Friend,
Deborah

nest of posies said...

girl...

what a story! i loved reading every single word. how lucky for big sister to be named after such a dear granny. (we had one too & i miss her so much.)

now...about that JOCK!
too funny. how 'bout him willing to do all of that to embarrass the family. little did he know the girl of his dreams was sitting on the couch!

happy weekend.

Opie Dawn said...

Cute story! It is always fun to hear how people have met the love of their life. Happy weekend!

Unknown said...

So cute! I hope you posted Part 2! And I hope you didn't work that first line into your wedding vows. LOL!