Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Spicy Sweet Potato Stew

sweet potato stew
Today, I am sharing a recipe I tried for the first time this week and we loved it.
I have been reluctant to share many recipes here because I tend to cook in large batches and stock my freezer with it. 
I have decided I can’t be the only person who cooks this way so I am just going to start sharing.
I love to cook this way because it allows me to cook several meals at one time and also saves money ( this comes in at around $5 per meal, that’s $1.25 per serving).  If I am going to have the kitchen a mess I might as well make more than one meal and if I am buying the ingredients to make it once there will normally be some leftovers but cooking in large batches allows me to go ahead and use up all the ingredients purchased.
This batch cooking recipe made four meals for my family of four.
Ingredients List:
4 Large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 in cubes
1 Rotisserie chicken, make your own or purchase one
olive oil
1 jalapeño (seeds removed)
8 Cloves of garlic
4 t. Cumin
4t. Chili powder
4 t. Oregano
2 Cans black beans (or better yet, make your own)
2 Cans corn (I use corn from the garden)
1 (16oz) jar of salsa verde
chicken broth
8 cups brown rice cooked
corn chips crumbled
lime
sour cream
1. Sauté jalapeño and garlic in the olive oil for 3 minutes and then add sweet potatoes, cumin, chili powder, and oregano and continue to sauté until potatoes are tender.
2.  Remove chicken meat from the whole chicken and chop in bite size pieces.
3.  Put the leftover chicken bones, skin and etc… into a pot and fill will water.  Bring to a boil and allow to cook for 30 minutes, this is to make chicken broth.
4. Put sweet potato mixture, chopped chicken, cooked rice, beans, corn, and jar of salsa into a 7 quart crock pot
5. Add enough chicken broth to fill crock pot, use store bought or make your own like I did.  Pour chicken broth through a strainer into a bowl.  Pour the chicken broth into the crock pot.  Pour hot water over the chicken in the strainer and into the bowl and you will get more broth, pour into the crock pot.  At this point your crock pot should be full to the top.  If not add more water.
6. Cook in the crock pot for 4 hours.
7.  Separate into 4 equal parts, cool three of them and put them in the freezer, serve the fourth.
8. Add corn chips crumbles, sour cream and a squeeze of fresh lime to each serving.
DSC_0188888
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
I would love to hear if you batch cook?

Charity

No comments: