Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Chatting with Charity ~ 28

 
 
Good Morning! I hope you are finding a way to stay dry this VERY wet week!
I woke up this morning with our vacation from last week on my mind. More specifically a dinner from last week. If you know me in real life, you know that I Mexican food. If you ask me what I want to eat 9 times out of 10 I will say Mexican. We had researched restaurants in the area we were staying and found one with great reviews. We arrived hungry and excited. When we walked in we realized -quickly- that this was an authentic Mexican restaurant and we were the only ones who spoke English. We were seated and our waitress switched with another who could understand us. None of us can speak Spanish. Needless to say, we stood out. As I was sitting there taking in the festive atmosphere and decor I began to notice all the beautiful dark and shiny hair that surrounded me. That is when it hit me not only did we stand out but I STOOD OUT EVEN MORE. You see I have the exact opposite of dark and shiny hair...my hair is blond and frizzy! Then I realized that I was the only one with glowing pale skin. Trust me, no one else cared about this it was just me people watching. I sat there thinking that this would be a funny story to tell later, you know the time the pale, frizzy haired blond came in and tried to order without knowing a word of Spanish. That is when God started speaking to my heart. I started to wonder...do I as a Christian add light and stand out this much in the darkness of the world around me or do I just blend in. I sat in that hard Formica covered seat and felt conviction of some places in my life where I am not being the light, where I am not living my life as a holy sacrifice. Too often, I live my life for me and my selfish desires. I confessed a few things in that moment and enjoy my favorite food. I left that restaurant with more than a full belly, I left with a full heart that had been encouraged by God to continue to live a life that stands out to bring Him glory. I want the things I do and the words I say to be in GREAT contrast to what the world does and says. I want to look different because I am different, I am different because of the cross and I want that to be what each and every person who meets me sees!
There are many people that I have come into contact with through the years who have shown this light to me and all those around them. I am thankful for these people! This morning I want this post to be in honor of three such people who have finished their work here on earth and gone on to be with Jesus. Mrs. Ingrid Brown, Mrs. Jana Disney, and Mr. Patrick Price you all served your God, your family, your church, and the world well! Thank you for being the light!
Who do you know that is a shining light for Jesus in this world? Have you told them? Finally, are you being the light that this dark world needs?
 
Charity

No comments: