Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Little Girl Room


My two girls have shared  a bedroom since the youngest was born.  But my oldest keeps getting bigger and is starting to need some privacy. So we have decided to tackle makeovers on two bedrooms, using mostly things we have, a few thrifty finds, and my sewing and painting (haha) skills.  I really want each of their rooms to be a reflection of who they are and what they love, so I hope at the end of this anyone who knows them will say their room is perfect for them.

Who Is My Youngest

child of God and willing to tell anyone
collector of feathers, shells and anything else
lover of all animals ( she has wanted to be a vet her whole life)
lover of horses especially ( she wants to live on a ranch and ride wild mustangs )
still is a closet princess lover (she is much to old for that, HaHa )
lover of flowers and nature

So hopefully these things will come though at the end of this adventure.

My first step into making the room more her was to hand paint a mural on one of the walls

I started with a pale buttery yellow base color in the whole room.




To paint the mural I measured off the diamond pattern and lightly drew it in with a pencil.  Next, I started painting in the vines roughly following the pencil marks. Then, using two different shades of pink I started painting the flowers ( yes, I know they are not a real flower of any kind, but they fit my skill level ).  I finished by adding some metallic highlights over the whole thing to give it a little princess sparkle. I am very pleased with the impacted it has on the room by itself, and my little one can't stop talking about it, and thanking me. Up next furniture.


The bedding is all things the girls had in their shared room.


The bed and the armoire are both pieces we had.  The bed was my neighbor's daughter's when she was growing up and then my sister used it in college and now both of my girls have used it.  I painted both pieces a base cream color and then distressed and glazed.  The sweet doll house on top my mom and I made when I was in Girl Scouts, and the pink chair was a recent thrift store find for $40 ( I couldn't believe it was the perfect pink)



This little lovely started life as one of those 80's brass chandeliers that we have all taken down and tossed. But with some pink spray paint and crystals it has been transformed into a very chic light.



 We built these shelves out of 1x6's and some brackets and hooks.  They are a great place to store her collections, and display art.



I bought this print for her last year and it is her favorite.  I finally bought a frame from Goodwill. Here's how it started.



A just fine picture if that's what you need, but I only needed the frame and the mat.  So, I popped out the print, painted the frame, and put it all back together and for $5 it is framed.  Not perfect but perfectly within my budget.



This keepsake chest  I painted and distressed.  The tea set is the real thing and would be amazing if I cleaned it,  but she is always playing with it.  I love the way this room turned out and think it is perfect for her,  she loves it also.   I will always miss the room with two twin beds and both girls in it, but everything has to change sooner or later.


Sit Relax and Read

30 comments:

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I love the painted vines and the butterfly netting on the bed! Very pretty!

Thanks for linking! : )

Anna said...

great job on the makeover! I bet your daughter loves it. Thanks for visiting my blog!

A Pretty Pastime said...

Wow! You definitely have some wonderful talent. This is a beautiful makeover. Great job! Katy

Mrs. Petrie said...

The room looks sweet, but sophisticated. I love the floral harlequin pattern on the wall.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Beautiful room! I'm in love with the wall murals!!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

happy new year.. nice post! perfectly captured the precious memories of 2009. thanks for sharing.

Joyeful said...

It looks beautiful! I love the armoire and the doll house!

susan said...

What a perfect little girls room! You did a great job on the mural! Love the rug too!

Shannan Martin said...

Seriously impressed over here! Your mural is beautiful and I love all the different girly colors (very similar to my daughter's color scheme.) And that doll house is the best accessory ever!

Bonnie @ The Boatwright Family said...

Beautifully done! Really love the mural and the chest!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You did a great job on that wall mural! This is a perfect "girl" room; I'll bet she just loves it!

Unknown said...

beautiful job, the wall design and that rug.. "WOW"

Martha said...

A very pretty room. Love the painted wall. I'm planning on doing something similar in my dressing room. You might just be my inspiration!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

The bed is just darling!

Marigene said...

Wow, what a pretty room, love the mural you painted. Bet the girls love it, too!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Lovely!!! Your mural is so pretty and I love the green trunk. Such a pretty room. :) I'm visiting from Sarah's party. :) Hope you might stop by. Here's my link:
http://serenitynow4amanda.blogspot.com/2010/01/chalkboard-quote-tray.html

Unknown said...

I love the room! The green chest reminds me of one I have. It came from dh's side of the family. It was an old toy chest. I use it as a blanket chest now.

Nancy

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Girl, you did yourself proud, this room is perfectly perfect. The mural is right on and the accessories are what really makes the room her's.
Can't wait to see Big Sister's room.
Molly

Bab's Kitchen said...

How Cute!

Orphaned Decor said...

Beautiful room. I love all the feminine details, especially the gorgeous wall you painted. I may have to try that. Great work!!
Leslie

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Oh, what a sweet room!

Southern Lady said...

What a precious room -- I know your daughter loves it, especially because of all the love and special touches you put into making it "hers."

Dixie said...

An absolutely delightful room for a sweet little sister... whom I am sure will cherish every corner and nook... wonderful job!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It looks like a dream room to me! I would like to live in there! Great Job!

my home sanctuary said...

Oh what a pretty little room. Love the mural. And the keepsake chest too. Actually I loved the whole little room. How crafty and smart you were.
Thanks for sharing.
Sherry

Denise Marie said...

simply gorgeous

Tristen@blissfulchaos said...

What a beautiful room! Great job with the mural.

Katie@Yoga Gal said...

The pink chandelier is BEAUTIFUL! :)

Its So Very Cheri said...

You did a great job. Love the diamonds and vines.

cheri

Unknown said...

I just loved the fairy tale type bed of the little girl! And the chandelier is also awesome!

Wall Coverings