Sunday, February 14, 2010

Kitchen Remodel: Part 1 Appliances

When we moved into our house we knew the kitchen would have to have some sort of a remodel.  You see the appliances are the ones I grew up with, yes the exact ones.  We bought my childhood home.  I plan to  write about this later.  They were no longer efficient and had grown lazy over the last 10 years or so from only having to work for 2 empty nesters.  When we moved a busy family in on top of them the appliances went into shock.  The first thing to go on strike was one of the large eyes on the cook top.  Let me tell you it is not easy to feed a family with only 1 large eye and 2 tiny eyes, but I made it work for 3 years.  Next up was the oven, but we were lucky and it just needed a heating element.  $50.00 and a little work from Sweet Daddy and we were back in business.  A year into this adventure the fridge called it quits -- never to breath again.  So off to Lowes' I went.  After looking around I found 2 I liked they looked exactly the same, same maker and everything, but one was $200.00 less.  So I found me a sales clerk and asked what the difference was.  He explained that they had accidentally gotten in 2 of the same floor models and were trying to get rid of the one.  So today was my lucky day, better yet it had a tiny scratch on the top left side.  He took off another 15%, yeah!  Can you believe this tiny scratch saved me $150.00



 and lets face it sooner or later we are going to scratch it.  So we went on like this for a while, new fridge, 3 eyes of a cook top, and an old oven with a new heating element.  That is until last year about this time when the dishwasher fell out of the cabinet, literally out of the cabinet.  Sweet Daddy found away to move the screws around and get it back secure.  This fix lasted until May of 2009 when the dishwasher came out again, this time there was no fixing it.  You see we had the original laminate counter top and over the last 30 years the wood underneath, that was supporting the dishwasher had worn away.  So to unload the dishes someone had to hold it upright and someone else had to unload the dishes.  Within a month of this happening the oven stopped cooking consistently, one time a dish cooked at 350 for 30 min. would come out raw and the next time burnt.  Then the other large eye on the cook top stopped working.  Are you getting this my kitchen was laying down and dying.  We had no budget for a kitchen remodel we had just redone the floors through out the whole house and had to expectantly get a new roof, so needless to say we were broke.  But I am glad we were because it forced me to be resourceful.  There would not be another trip to Lowe's for more new appliances.  So I went to my stand by Craig's List.  Guess what I found?  Someone was getting rid of their amazing, black, top of the line, Kitchen-Aid appliances just because they wanted stainless steel.  Yeah me!!!  Not only did they meet everything I had on my wish list --



 double oven,



 flat cook top,


 and a dishwasher with deep shelves.

  We only paid $450.00 for all of them plus a hood vent and a microwave that we passed on to Goodwill.  God is so good he gave me everything I wanted within an unbelievable budget.  He definitely got to show His glory on this one.






Sit Relax and Read

48 comments:

momstheword said...

Oh wow, that's pretty cool. I think I need to pay more attention to Craig's List! I love your kitchen, it is gorgeous.

Thank you for linking up today!

Erin said...

Yay! Congratulations! Your kitchen looks lovely. I need a double oven. (Okay, I "need" a wall oven as mine is dying and I dream of a double oven...) I'm keeping my eyes on CraigsList...

Kalleen at Second Street said...

We moved into my husbands childhood home two years ago. I understand the need to replace appliances. We had to do ours before we could even move in. They were all broken. I don't know how my mother in law lived. Seriously they were all broken. We didn't get as good as deal as you. My husband is not one to look around. I'm the thrifter, but I have to throw it all out the window when he is involved. Can't wait to see more. I'm wishing I had taken some before and after pictures from all our remodeling. I was just trying to survive.

Charity said...

Kalleen, I so wish we would have taken before pictures. I never thought of it at the time, now I am digging though piles of old pictures to see if there is a before that I can use.

Cha Cha

Diane @ InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Cha Cha- What a deal on your applicances. They look terrific and very modern. A new look for your childhood home. Some of mine are going on 16 years. I did just replace my stove and got the floor model for way less then the original price.
Diane

nest of posies said...

cha cha!!!
i LOVE your new header!!! it is beautiful!!! and i love the font you choose for your title. it looks perfect.

now about that kitchen...you know i love it. i can't believe you got all the appliances for that amount. unheard of! God is so good to us.
i know we have emailed each other about not taking pics of our projects B.B. (before blogging ;) but i think you did a great job with this post. i love how your counter tops tie everything in. it sets everything off perfectly. the blue, white, & the wood all look beautiful together. it was the perfect choice. i can't wait to read about how you did the cabinets.

stay warm my friend.
kellie

Kirsty said...

It all looks so beautiful. My favorite is the blue beadboard. Oh and the white cabinets. And the open ones at the top. And all the appliances for so cheap! Okay, I love it all. Nice!

Melissa said...

a beautiful testimony!!

Anonymous said...

Hi and your kitchen is beautiful! So cozy looking and I love the beadboard!
Bea sweetie,
Shelia :)

nest of posies said...

p.s.
i think you need to start tweeting!!!!

i will happily be your first follower!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your kitchen is looking so great! I love the beadboard. Great job!

Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!!

XOOX
Jen

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hey There, you certainly did give credit where credit is do. God is good, and He found all your awesome appliances for you. Just what you needed and wanted. Loved hearing this! Your kitchen looks wonderful!!
hugs,
Debra

Unknown said...

How awesome! We don´t have the opportunity to buy second hand here in Spain so this sounds so amazing to me! Our dryer, stove top, oven and tv all whent caput at the same time. We are so thankful for an inheritance that helped us through it all.

Your kitchen is lovely! you must be just singing!

Dani Joy

Nancy said...

How lucky! I love your story.

Allie and Pattie said...

WOW!! Our Craigslist is never that good! Great job!
xoxo Pattie

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a blessing! Love your new kitchen!

Tami @ This Mom's Delight said...

Beautiful counters!

Kaysi said...

Wow those all look great!

~Lesa~ said...

Oh, such a pretty kitchen!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I'm so happy for you that you were able to find everything at such a good price. Your kitchen looks pretty too!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Fabulous appliances and prices, your kitchen is gorgeous. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Cha Cha...

My friend, I just happened to look back at my Sunday Favorites post and realized that you had posted a couple more entried! Ooops...I'm so sorry that I didn't know until today! Anyway...I loved this post! What fabulous appliances...and at such great bargains!!! Yes, I totally agree that the Lord was providing...He's sooo good!!! Well...I love all of your beautiful, black appliances! I'm so happy for you, my friend! Thank you again for sharing this sweet post with us for Sunday Favorites!!!

Hope that you're having a wonderful day...
Chari @Happy To Design

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

What a total score on all those appliances! Your kitchen looks awesome!

Cass @ That Old House said...

How wonderful! Craigslist is an amazing resource -- we are about to list a smooth cooktop, GE Profile, and a dining room table on Craigslist -- I hope someone who really needs them sees the ads!
It's amazing what people will get rid of, isn't it? Your kitchen looks terrific, and best of all ... it works!
Cass

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I wish I'd seen your kitchen before I redid mine about five years ago! I went with all white cabs and black granite, but I love how your bottom cabs are black and contrast so well with the countertop, and the upper cabs are so light and bright! Wonderful job.

KimMalk said...

Oh, Cha Cha! This is so beautiful, you were really blessed!

Robj98168 said...

You gotta love those pre-scratched appliances... My reefer was the saem deal... scratched in a spot no one would ever see it! Got a 1,600 dollar Energy star reefer for 1,000- just because of a little scratch! Your kitchen is looking good!

Frugal Home Designs said...

Awesome. Your kitchen is beautiful.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

We love craigs list too! we have gotte nsome great deal on it!

You are right God is good! So cool to see how He works in others lives! : )

I love the new header!

Unknown said...

LOVELY! We also have 'scratch/dent' appliances that you'd never be able to tell.
We have a friday fun finds party- if you're interested, we'd love if you'd link up tomorrow! :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Cha Cha, your kitchen is beautiful!
Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday this week!
Hugs,
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

WOW what a deal!!! I am adding you to my blog roll, I cant wait to see what you do next!! :) love the open cabinets! adorable.

Low Tide High Style said...

Your kitchen is beautiful and what an amazing story about your appliances! How on earth did you make it all those years trying to feed a family with things breaking all around you?! And what a wonderful find at both Lowes and on Craig's List! You are truly a girl after my own heart, resourceful and a bargain hunter!

Kat :)

Lori said...

We love our double oven... Your kitchen looks great!

Thanks again for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. at Life As Lori

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Go craigslist! Your kitchen looks great now! It's cool that you live in the house you grew up in!

Thanks again for linking up to Make it Yours day!

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

Beautiful. What a buy! God is Good.

colorchic said...

Beautiful Kitchen, Loving the color blue these days! Nice putting it all together!

Ruth H. said...

Wow! The appliances look great. A few years ago when we were doing a kitchen remodel, we were able to get a steal on used appliances, too. I'll never forget my husband opening the oven door to discover plastic on the racks--the oven had never been used! Can you imagine?

Love the color you painted the beadboard.

Kris said...

WOW!!!!! What a goregous kitchen and to think you got all of that for some little! What a blessing indeed! Thank you for sharing.

Amber said...

black appliances are the bomb! wish i had some :)

Debbiedoos said...

What a find on Craigs list...gotta love it!~ They are swank appliances!~ SS is so overrated...we have it, only because they came with the house! But I would do black in a heart beat! SS is so hard to keep clean!~

Sabrina said...

What a great find! I never would have thought about Craigslist for appliances either. Woo hoo for you!

Lori E said...

What is it with appliances. I did a post on that back in November. It is like they are lemmings jumping off the darn cliff.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Cha Cha...

My friend, I am soooo happy for you! And yes, God is so GOOD! When we honor Him, He does give us the desires of our heart! Your beautiful kitchen appliances are definitely a testimony to that! They really are nice! I love your Craigslist find...nice ovens!!! I also have a cooktop like yours and just love it! I often think back to when I use to have to clean my stove top...what a pain! The flat top stoves are soooo nice! Thank you so much for sharing this post with us today for Sunday Favorites!!!

Have a super Sunday, my friend!
Chari @Happy To Design

dtbrents said...

I love the appliances you chose for your kitchen. They would match my microwave and electric pressure cooker. Doylene

Natalie Meester said...

I have black appliances and a fridge almost exactly like yours! I love it. We are in the process of buying new creamy white cabinets and i am thinking of doing black quartz countertops. I love your kitchen!

Peggy said...

Isn't it wonderful how the Lord provides! I just found your blog via Funky Junk Interiors and must say I am enjoying it immensely!

Thanks!

Remodelaholic said...

What a huge blessing! That is a great deal and your kitchen looks like a dream! I am glad to see a kitchen with white upper cabinets and black bottoms because that is what I want to do!

I am so glad you stopped by to join our little the party, I hope to see you there again! We have them every Friday. (And we are now doing a recipe link up on Wednesday!)

Cassity @ Remodelaholic