Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Chatting with Charity ~ 19



Good Morning!  Hope you are doing well!  I can NOT believe that today is July 1st, where has the summer gone?  One of my favorite parts of summer is the fresh veggies!  We currently have more yellow squash coming out of our garden than we know what to do with!  My sister mentioned the same thing the other day and said she was making her kids eat a squash at every meal, ha!  While I am NOT going that far, I am serving them regularly with our dinner!  Today, I thought I would share one of my family's favorite squash recipes.

Squash Croquettes 

You will need
2 cups of finely chopped squash
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated 
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Vegetable oil for frying

Combine all ingredients but the oil.  Put 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan and bring to a medium-high temperature.  Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop squash mixture into oil.  On a side note, you can put the mixture in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to thicken the mix, this will make for neater scoops but not necessary.  Allow each scoop to come to a golden brown before flipping.  Once your second side has browned, remove croquette from the oil and allow to rest on a paper towel lined plate.  These are very hardy and even my meat and potatoes guy will eat these in place of a meat.  Also,  any leftovers reheat nicely in the oven at 350* until warm.

Hope you will try these and let me know if they become one of your family favorites!

Charity

No comments: