Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 5 of 31 Days to a Heartfelt Home, Spend Time with Each Child



Something that is key to having a Heartfelt Home is really knowing the people in it.  A great way to learn about each member of the family is to spend time one on one doing things they enjoy.  This can be a night out to get a pedicure (I have girls) or as simple as reading a book out loud while snuggled up on the sofa. It is not the where or the amount of money spent, it is the time and effort invested.  I know with busy schedules things like this can fall through the cracks and be left undone.  This happens at our home far more than I care to admit.  My solution is to put it on the calendar.  Decide how often you want to do this and how much money, if any, you want to spent.  Once you have made those decisions put it on the calendar because you know as well as I do that once the kids see it they will not let you forget.  Our goal is once a month to do something out of the house with money spent.  We rotate monthly which child is with the parent.  Also we want to make time to do something small once a week.  These will be the times we play pretend or cards, download music, read a book or teach a sewing lesson.  Things that require no money and can be done from home.  This small step to knowing your child better will grow your relationship in beautiful ways.  They get all of your attention and have an assurance of your love and that you are available to them.  My love and availability are two of the things I want my children to never doubt so they can be secure of their place in our family.

Do you have special "dates" with your kids?
I would love to hear about them. 


Sit Relax and Read

1 comment:

Adelina Priddis said...

ya know we keep trying, but with 3 kids it's been hard to figure out who goes with who, and when, and then keeping it scheduled. We need to be better for sure. I have very fond memories of special one on one time with my dad