Monday, October 31, 2011

Fall Mantel


I am finally getting around to showing off my Fall mantel.  I have to say it is my favorite ever….but I say that every time I change the mantel.  I think I might just like change and that is why the next one is always my favorite, ha.
Fall Mantel
This mantel update is more that just a switch of décor so be sure to scroll down to the end so you can see the before and after and a little how to.
Fall Mantel
Fall is the best time of year for this mantel because the room is decorated in green and orange already.  You can see it on the drapes.
Fall Mantel
This sweet little carnival glass dish was a gift from client years ago.  I love it’s orange shimmeriness (yes I made up that word, at least I think I did, I am definitely taking credit for it).
Fall Mantel
I made the corn husk wreath last year and it is still the star of the show.
Fall mantel
I am head over heels for my extra large lantern.  What do you think of it?
Fall Mantel
The small lantern is pretty sassy herself.
Fall mantel
Yes, I love brass and I know most of you will tell me it is outdated but I am going with ….
I am ahead of the design curve.
fall mantel
Our fireplace is one we use everyday during the winter and I am so thankful to have it and the wood to burn.  So not only is pretty but it is functional.
028
Here is a picture of the before, I loved the wood part of the mantel but the dark wood just gets lost on the bricks.
030033
The wood piece also causes problems, it wasn’t deep enough to set stuff on and there was not enough room for the mirror (see how it is resting on the trim).  So I sweet talked my Hubby and we got busy making a new piece of wood.


027
We cut a rough sawn piece of lumber to size. BTW this a piece we had so no dollars spent is NICE.
024
I got busy sanding it just enough to knock of the roughest edges and then painted it. We love the way it turned out and the extra width and height it gave us.
023
Did you recognize what my lanterns are?
Yeah, that is right they are 80’s rejected light fixtures.
All you have to do is screw the lighting part out and pull the cord through and you are done.
So for $3.00 I have cool lanterns, much better than paying the $80 for the the Moroccan style one I originally wanted.
028
004
And After!  Much better right?

Okay that is all for now, hope you are having a blessed Fall day.
Cha Cha


4 comments:

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Love this, Cha Cha ~ lanterns are so fun to decorate with! Kudos and Happy Fall!
xo Heidi

Adelina Priddis said...

I love it! I want a mantel so badly, just so I can decorate, but we have no place for a mantel.

Courtney said...

I LOVE this! I would love if you would share this at the Crazy Cute link party happening at Between U & Me right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway this week, too!
OOH! AND, I'm your newest follower! ;)
www.betweenuandme.com

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love your mantel! I think the brass looks fantastic. :) Visiting from Thrifty Decor Chick. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi. :)