Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pesto




Do you remember when I posted the pictures of this,  as pretty as it is, it has a greater purpose.

Do you know what those green leaves are?

Basil

of all the things green and leafy that can be grown this is by far my favorite.

I am addicted to pesto and got to make some last night.



All of this becomes



this.


Pesto Recipe

1 cup  packed basil leaves
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup walnuts
2 galic cloves
1/2 olive oil

Toss it all into the food processor and let it do all the work.

I freeze my extra



I cover the top of the pesto with more olive oil seal tightly and stick straight into the freezer, the extra oil keep it from turning dark from air exposure.



Now, I am ready for pasta, or if I am nice to share

Cha Cha

4 comments:

Bell said...

I've never made my own pesto but I've been wanting to--especially since I've got a huge amount of basil now. So glad to see your recipe on here. This may seem like a dumb question, but when you are ready to use it, what exactly do you do with the frozen pesto? Just thaw it? Heat it?
Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Brenda said...

I do the same thing when I have a lot of basil, its so nice to have pesto sauce on hand. I use any kind of nuts I have as well.

Mandy said...

Nice to meet you! I came across you from a comment you left on Ordinary Inspirations. So, question...what could I sub the walnuts with since my husband is allergic to them? And how do you use pesto?

cynthia said...

there is nothing better than FRESH BASIL and i love me some pesto!

i didn't know you could freeze it...i'll be sure to add the extra olive oil too!