Sunday, June 27, 2010

ROASTED VEGGIE SUMMER PASTA

Yesterday was a good day in the garden

It inspired my to make one of my standby summer recipes

Oven roasted veggies, you can do this recipe with
squash, zucchini, broccoli, califlower, carrots......
Since I pick lots of squash I used squash this time

1. Chop veggies into bite size chunks
2. Toss into a bowl
3. Drizzle with about 3 T olive oil 

4.  Salt and Pepper to taste


5. Mix together


6. Pour onto a pan


7. Cook at 400 for 50min., stirring once in the middle


You may need to adjust time for different veggies, you are looking for them to be lightly carmelized
at this point you can cool them, flash freeze them and then bag them up to use later or go ahead and use them as a side dish or in pasta or soup.

Since I have been smelling the squash roast all day there was no way that I was not going to use it.
So I decided to make my Summer Pasta.
The great thing about this pasta is that you can make it quick and use up any leftovers you may have.

I started by putting these two to work

taking the leaves off of the basil, so I can make my Pesto (recipe here)

Okay, thes are my gardening clothes so don't laugh. Please tell me your kitchen looks like this when you are doing lots of cooking, notice my messy floor (I am not a neat cook)

Once the Pesto is made start the pasta

1. Cook what ever pasta you have on hand, cook until firm
2. Brown meat (I am using smoked sausage, but anything works)
3. After meat is browned add whatever roasted veggies you are using
4. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water to deglaze pan


5. Add strained pasta


6. 4 T pesto and another 1/4 cup of pasta water


Mix and serve


ENJOY,

Cha Cha


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that sounds great...and yes my kitchen after pulling veggies from the garden gets destroyed top to bottom but the straight from the garden fresh taste can't be beat.Jen

nest of posies said...

my mouth is watering!

your pics look like i am right in there with you! i know this must of tasted delish! the flavors this time of year is unbeatable.
my kitchen is 10 times worse. i am the messiest cook there is. i think you look cute as can be! i am so like you ~ {so funny} i can't stand my hair touching my face when i get hot or work in the flower garden. i pull it off of my face anyway i can.

have a great sunday!
xo

Unknown said...

Mmmm, sounds really yummy! I love garden fresh veggies.

Nancy

Unknown said...

This looks so GOOD!!!!!

Charity said...

Hey Margaret I promise the fried green tomatoes are even better so save room for tonight.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

That looks amazing!! There is nothing like fresh pesto and veggies from the garden.

Andrea said...

Cha Cha - LOVE your dimples in your photo!!

Take Care - Andrea in MN

Jennifer Juniper said...

Looks delish - and yes, I make a big mess while cooking! Love that pic :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yes! My kitchen is also that messy when cooking! Your recipes look great and I am so jealous of all the great veggies from your garden. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

Mama Thompson said...

YUM! I am so trying this this week...I'm in a summertime cooking slump and need delicious ideas, so thanks for sharing!

Rustown Mom said...

OMG, I have to make that - I have two types of basil growing on my patio and needed the inspiration and recipe! (:

Brenda said...

I would love that. I love your gardening boots too. Wish I had a garden to style me some boots like that ;)

Between You and Me said...

ummmmmm delicious! I can't wait to try these.....

those veggies in that sink are beautiful!

Unknown said...

My kitchen is a mess any time we come in from the garden, let alone after cooking such a nice meal! We do a similar pasta dish with garden goodies, but I'd never thought to roast the veggies first. Great idea. I LOVE your kitchen, by the way! I'm your newest follower.