Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mexican Meatloaf

This morning I thought I would share one of my families favor things to have for dinner
Mexican Meatloaf

I have never been a fan of meatloaf in the traditional form, something about the the slimy ketchup top has always grossed me out.  If you love it I promise we can still be friends and I am very aware that I am weird and this is probably just another example of my weirdness.  Oh back to my story, then one day my mom told me about this meatloaf that one of her friends was talking about..........
it had salsa in it.
Well that did it for me, just mention the word salsa and my ears perk up and my taste buds start dreaming.
So I got busy trying out different versions, until I came to the one we use now.
So with no more of my rambling involve,
I give you

Mexican Meatloaf


Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound ground turkey
2 eggs beaten
1 cup fresh salsa
1 & 1/2 cup crushed spicy cheese crackers
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese



Here is where you have a decision to make, I started making this recipe long before we started reading labels on food and for that reason I have always made it with Cheez-It Hot and Spicy cracker and I get the best result out of them.  You could however use a more naturally made cracker and add your own hot sauce.
Once you make your decision
pour the crackers in a bag and go to town crushing them.


Add to a large bowl
ground beef
ground turkey
eggs
crackers
and salsa


Mix ingredients just until combined


Fill a loaf pan with the mixture and sprinkle cheese onto the top.
Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until it is no longer pink in the middle.


I always double the recipe and remove one from the oven 10 minutes early, cool and freeze.  Then I have it to thaw and reheat for a meal on a busy night.



We love to eat Mexican meatloaf with corn on the cob and green beans.

Huuummmm, so do you like traditional meatloaf or do you make a different version like me???

Sit Relax and Read

I am linking this recipe at
Somewhat Simple's Strut Your Stuff
The Shabby Chic Cottage's Tranformation Thursday
Tatertots and Jello's Weekend Wrap Up
Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday
Firefliesand Jellybean's Show Off Your Stuff
Tales From Bloggeritaville's Thrifty Thursday
Be Different... Act Normal's Show and Tell Saturday

2 comments:

Tiffini said...

omg...this sounds heavenly. I have switched to annies crackers for recipes..I laughed when you said before we started reading labels. How true! I love your makeover. Your picture is gorgeous..I will add this to our menu. I think even Dakota may try meatloaf now.
xo

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

This sounds yummy! A real crowd pleaser. I've tweaked my mom's meatloaf recipe over the years to make it healthier and I REFUSE to top mine with ketchup! Spice it up so the ketchup isn't necessary, ladies! Thanks, Cha Cha. :)