Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Pink Room Reveal With A Ruffled Drape Tutorial

As you lovelies may or may not know, Hubby and I spent the past weekend at The Shabby Creek Cottage (formally The Shabby Chic Cottage...and yes, I have a new blog name also....we will talk more about that later).  We were there to meet up with fellow DIYer's

and to makeover Gina's two girl's rooms.

Today
I am going to reveal her youngest daughter's room.


Lisa and my hubby spent lots of time making this headboard wall beautiful.
You can read more about it on Lisa's blog.

Angie and I made the Message boards, she will tell you all about them.



I had to sneak in the picture of Hubby to prove he was there willing to work with all of us crazy girls.



Gina's hubby and mine built these bookcases around the desk she already had.
It is great for storage and has a special slide out for the dollhouse, Leslie will be talking about it today on her blog.



Polly made this cute stool cover and bunches of fab pillows.
Can I tell you what an honor it was to sit beside her and sew....she is the real deal sewing queen.
You can read all about it on her blog today





So are you asking yourself what I did?
I made the cute flowers for the lamp with the help of Bre (this is her room).



I love how cute they are




And if she gets bored with it as a lampshade she can always use it as a hat, ha.



I also made these fabulous ruffle drapes, it was so much fun to finally use a ruffler attachment on my sewing machine.  Thanks Polly for teaching me how.



And  if she grows tired of them in her room....
wouldn't they make a pretty dress.

UPDATE IN RED
Okay, you guys have talked me into it.....I will try to write out a tutorial, ekkk.
Please keep in mind there are no pictures of the process.  I have drawn a picture and will try to talk you through it.  If you have any questions please email me and I will answer them.

How to make a ruffled drape tutorial
1. measure the width of your window and the length from rod to floor
2. add 6 inches to the length so you can sew a pocket for the rod
-you will also need to add to the length if you want a finished hem
-we were going for a frayed look so we left the edges unfinished
and pulled strings
3. fold top of the length over 3 inches, iron and sew a straight stitch to make a pocket for the rod to side into

4. This is the hardest part divide your length in 6 even lengths and add 2 inches to each
-you will cut these lengths from the aqua, pink and extra white fabric this is not part of the fabric panel you just put the pocket in
-you will add 2 inches so that each ruffle hangs over and hides the seam of the one under it.
- for this example I have 6 -10 inch sections, so I cut 6-12inch sections
-again you will add more to this if you are finishing your edges
5. your pieces will need to be at least double your width and possibly more depending on how full you want your ruffle
6. useing your ruffle attachment on your sewing machine gather the width of each of the 6 panels
7. measure and make your spacing for the six panels onto the panel you sewed the pocket on
-for this example it is every 10 inches starting from the bottom
8.starting at the bottom sew your first panel on
I used aqua
9. sew you next ruffle panel 10 inches from the last one and it will overlap 2inches and hide the seam.
10. continue step 9 until the top ruffle panel
11. for the top ruffle panel you want to match your right sides together with the length of the ruffle going toward the pocket you sewed in the beginning,
sew along the same seam that you made for the pocket,
flip the fabric over and you have a finished edge for the top ruffle panel

Repeat for a second drape

I hope this was helpful, if I missed anything email me



Tomorrow I will reveal the other room and then later this week talk more about the "experience", don't worry it was all good.




Sit Relax and Read

Linking To:

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those curtains!! I hope you post a tutorial so I can try them for my daughters' rooms in our new home! The colors are awesome! Well done!

jenny
jennypen20@zzx.com

Unknown said...

Aw, now if only you had a picture of you wearing the curtains AND the lampshade! Scarlet O'hara has nothing on you baby!! :)

I am SO GLAD I got to finally meet you in person. Ladies, she's about the cutest thang you ever did see, and uber talented.

I guess I better go whip up a post on those pillows!

Unknown said...

I love those curtains and they would be PERFECT in my daughter's room that I'm re-doing!!! Please, please post a tutorial!

The Pennington Point said...

That picture of you in the lampshade "hat" is just about one of my favorites from the weekend. It was wonderful to see you again my sweet friend. I love ya! Lisa~

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Wonderful! I love those fabric flowers and the curtains! I too would love to see a tutorial on the curtains!

Deanna

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Loved this whole post, especially your gown....
<3, me

Anonymous said...

I love the double duty lamp shade!

Anonymous said...

I love the new name!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Super fun, Cha Cha! I think those curtains are my favorite thing in the room. Love those giant ruffles!

Rhonda @ The Yellow Brick Road said...

Got it! You rock girlfriend! I am thankful for the tutorial and I am headed to get my material NOW!
(((higs)))

Anonymous said...

You reeaaallllyyyyy need to make these curtains & sell them!

Richella Parham said...

Cha Cha, that photo of you with the lampshade on your head is absolutely adorable!! I love your freckles. You are such a pretty woman.

So glad y'all got to do this! What fun--and what great results!

nest of posies said...

i love love love adore adore adore that photo of you & the lampshade. it's wonderful. you pretty silly girl.

you all have blown me away with this great room. that headboard wall is fantastic! perfect for every little girl.

those curtains are just amazing. fluff & sweet sweet colors.

beautiful work!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Found you thru the blog link up. I love your style. Makes me want to brighten things up more around our house.

www.keepitsimpleyay.blogspot.com

Tori said...

Soooo very cute! THis is definitely something I'm going to add to my list for my little girl's room!

AquaSeventy6 said...

Really adorable! I am doing to try and translate some of these ideas into my boys' room!

Lorri said...

Those curtains are so fun!!! I would love to have some in my daughter's room! What a fabulous idea!

Toyin O. said...

Those curtains are delightful:)

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Those curtains are wonderful! The whole room is so pretty and colorful! Visiting from Someday crafts :)

Adelina Priddis said...

ADORABLE! I still haven't done the curtains for the girls rooms, and now I know what I'm doing! Thanks for the tutorial!

Carli-Made by Carli said...

Those curtains are Fabulous! I absolutely adore them! You did a fantastic job! Thanks for sharing!

Leanne said...

I LOVE those ruffle curtains. The colors are so pretty together. You all did such a great job on those rooms. What a fun project. I love all your fun pictures too. You are such a beautiful lady. Thanks for linking to Home Decor & Organizing Link Party. I featured the curtains on FB.

Kaitlin Saenz said...

Looks great! I'm visiting from Organize and Decorate Everything! I'd love for you to share this with my {re}create into something new blog party too at http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/2011/07/recreate-into-something-new-3.html

Hope to see you at my place soon!
Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

abeachcottage said...

The room is gorgeous and those curtains are amazing! Great job on the tutorial :) Thanks for sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Unknown said...

This is fantastic! I love the curtains and the easy to follow step by step tutorial. I would LOVE it if you could link this up to my new weekly link party Tutorial Tuesday.

Kari
Newlyweds on a Budget

Simply Deluscious said...

Oh wow, I have been a fan of ruffled curtains, (and well ruffled everything) for a long time...but I love pink and aqua together and these are just gorgeous...thanks for the inspiration.

Deb at "Simply Deluscious"

Unknown said...

Does every sewing machine have a ruffle attachment? I am loving these but not sure LOL