Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sentimental Sunday #31, The Tablecloth

Welcome to Sentimental Sunday, my favorite day of the week.  The day we all gather together and share what we are sentimental about.  It can be anything from an item in you home passed down by a special someone or just a few sweet words about something that has touched your heart this week, the goal is to take a moment and reflect.

This week I want to talk to you about a tablecloth I have made recently as part of my Ten Task in Ten Days challenge.

This pretty tablecloth did not start life in the dinning room, nope it started in our bedroom.
When Hubby and I first got married we each had full size beds, we moved into a two bedroom shack cottage so we thought we were set.  Little did we know that the two of us could not sleep in a full size bed together.  So a week into marriage and we were not only in separate beds but separate rooms.  Hubby's sweet/wise aunt and uncle got wind of this and would not have it.  they had an extra king set of box springs and mattress.  So we went and got them and came home and plopped them on the floor, we were very loft hip-NOT.  But they were perfect for us and happiness was restored.  But a girl has to make things pretty so I set off to find something to put on this big glorious bed.  Keep in mind we were broke young so I was on a very tight budget.  I was so excited when I found a cream colored matelasse at Macy's on sale for next to nothing.  It was the last one, the package was torn and the price and sku had been handwritten onto what was left of the package.  Well you better believe I marched it straight to the check out and brought it to our happy home.  It was beautiful and because it was cream I was able to use all my old pillows.  Fast forward a few years, new house and a kid later and we were ready to buy a bed.  I wanted a queen size because it would fit our space much better (and let's face it in a king you can get lost and never know the other person is there).  So we got the bed, we got the box springs and mattress and we got bedding to fit a queen.  I did not have the heart to send the  matelasse packing so I folded it nicely and shoved it into the dark recesses of our junk closet.  It has gotten pulled out through the year to be used as a make shift tablecloth but I felt like now was the time to give it a real life again, so I cut it up and resewed all the edges and now it is the perfect dinning room tablecloth.  I love that it is a piece that we have had with us since the beginning of our marriage
and I hope it will see us through grand kids and maybe even great grands.

So what are you sentimental out this week?

Grab the button below and link up.

Sit Relax and Read



                                                                                          



Sit Relax and Read


6 comments:

Suz and Allan said...

What a sweet story to tell people when they complement the piece. It makes a beautiful tablecloth!

Adelina Priddis said...

What a beautiful reminder of your beginning!

Oliver Alcarez said...

It's very beautiful and nice. I love it. fantastic!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Cha Cha it was so nice to meet you yesterday! I am now a new follower!
Have a safe trip back home!
dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

Casey said...

Talk about sentimental, this is my favorite. I've slept with that matelasse myself! And I thought it was so pretty I bought one for my bed and am now looking for another. I love that it's found new life.

Rhonda @ The Yellow Brick Road said...

Holy pete! You just gave me a fantastic idea! I love tablecloths and I have a king size matelasse coverlet folded up in my closet as I type....girl, I am going to pull that baby out....crank up the Miss Ruby (my sewing machine) and knock this out! I'll send you a pic when she is finished.
So....I came over here looking for the tutorial on the ruffle curtains at Gina's makeover. I'll be back because I need to whip up some of those curtains to cover the walls in my new booth that is opening in a few weeks. Glad to meet you....I'll be back!